Protect your house — and your possessions — with home insurance through The Jacobs Company. For homeowners, insurance protection is an important aspect of homeownership. Buying home insurance means buying protection for your home — both inside and out.
The Jacobs Company Home Insurance program, underwritten by select homeowners insurance companies, offers home insurance, condo insurance and renters insurance to new and existing The Jacobs Company customers.
What is home insurance?
Home insurance is an expensive purchase for many Americans. Although home insurance is not required by law in most states, if your home is mortgages, your lender may require the purchase of insurance on your home.
To get the best value for your money, you must take responsibility for your home insurance purchase and make your own decisions.
The Coverages offered to homeowners are typically contained in a package of liability and property coverages. This consumer guide principally addresses the package of coverages found in a “homeowners” policy. It does not address the state special programs established to meet special needs, including availability. Contact your state’s insurance department for more detail about special conditions or programs in you state.
Homeowners insurance, or home insurance, compensates you for losses to your home and your possessions inside it, so purchasing a homeowners policy provides added security for your investment. Home insurance also protects you if you're legally liable for someone's injuries on your property, as well as from financial losses caused by storms, fire, theft and other events outlined in your policy.
Why Buy Home Insurance?
- Owners: To protect your house and personal property
- Tenants: To protect your furniture and other personal property
- Everyone: To protect against liability for accidents that injure other people and/or damage their property.
How much Home Insurance Do I need?
- Property Protection: The better your coverage, the less you will have to pay out of your own pocket if disaster strikes. Most people will want to have sufficient coverage in place to rebuild their home if it is destroyed.
- Legal Self Protection: You need enough liability coverage to protect yourself from lawsuits resulting from your negligence
- Lender Requirements: Your lender may require you to cover the house for at least the amount of the mortgage. This may be either too little or too much coverage for your individual circumstances. You are not required to purchase insurance from the insurer recommended by your lender.
- Policy Requirements: Insurers may impose some coverage requirements for replacement cost protection
Each home insurance policy is different, but standard policies usually provide:
- Broad coverage for damage to your house and any permanent structures on your property (unless the cause of the damage is specifically excluded in your policy.)
- Damage to your personal property due to causes specified in your policy.
- Limited coverage which is available for items like stolen jewelry. Coverage amounts vary depending on your state of residence.
- Additional coverage for valuable items which can be purchased through endorsements to your homeowner’s policy.
For more information, or to obtain a quote, contact the personal lines department at The Jacobs Company today.